[torqueusers] configuring node to use subset of available physical GPUs

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Mon Mar 31 14:34:25 MDT 2014

Let's say you have 4 gpus but only want 2 to be used for jobs:

1. Make sure you aren't allowing it to auto-detect gpus. (This happens when
you configure the moms to report on each gpu, then -nvidia configure
options).
2. In the nodes file, add gpus=2 to the line with the node.

This doesn't guarantee that a job is unable to access the other gpus on the
system, but it guarantees that TORQUE will only tell the scheduler about 2
gpus, so more than 2 should never be scheduled at a time.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Lev Givon <lev at columbia.edu> wrote:

> If I configure a compute node (in its server_priv/nodes file) to use X
> number of
> GPUs where X < N and N = total number of physical GPUs in the system, are
> the first X
> physical GPUs in the system always the ones that are allocated to jobs that
> require GPUs? In other words, does the above configuration guarantee that
> torque
> will never allocate the remaining N-X remaining GPUs to jobs?
>
> I'm using torque 4.5.0pre1 on Ubuntu 13.10 with the built-in scheduler.
> --
> Lev Givon
> Bionet Group
> http://www.columbia.edu/~lev/