[torqueusers] 2 Jobs per node limit in Maui?

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 27 11:53:14 MDT 2014

Hi Nico

I have exactly the same Torque and Maui versions here.
The Maui (and Torque) configuration is not default,
but there is nothing that I intentionally put there to
try to fix the problem that you reported.
The nodes have 32 cores (np=32).

I just tried to submit a bunch of serial jobs with
#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=1
to try to reproduce the error you reported.

However, everything works as expected.
All jobs run right away, *until I reach the maximum
queueable jobs per user on that queue* (which is 20 in my case).

**

So, I wonder if you have set up some limitation per queue,
or equivalent (on jobs, nodes, etc),

Did you set any limits on the number of jobs, processors, nodes, etc,
on your Torque queues?

Does the output of

$TORQUE/bin/qmgr -c 'p s'

and of

$MAUI/bin/showconfig

show anything that may restrict the jobs?

**

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa

On 03/27/2014 01:20 PM, van Eikema Hommes, Nicolaas wrote:
> Hello!
>
> At our site, we're currently using Torque 4.2.5 with Maui 3.3.1,
the latter with the default configuration.
This setup works fine, but we've noticed that Maui appears to
limit the number of jobs per node to 2: when a user submits 8 jobs
that request ppn=1 to a particular np=8 node,
only 2 jobs are started by the scheduler.
The remaining 6 jobs must be started via qrun.

> I could not find anything that might be related to this
behaviour in the documentation (links in maui.cfg are broken btw);
the showconfig command doesn't list any parameter with a value of 2,
so that didn't help either.