[torqueusers] Newbie questions

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Fri Mar 21 10:55:08 MDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 5:57 AM, Dr.Peer-Joachim Koch <pkoch at bgc-jena.mpg.de
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just started to play around a bit with torque.
> The installation worked without any problems (torque-4.2.7).
>
> For the configuration I still have some questions:
> *) we have a shared file system. So every node sees the same
> file system layout for groups, home and /usr/local.
> How do I have to configure it in mom_priv/config ?

I hope someone else can also offer an opinion here, but often times people
put mom_priv and mom_log as separate directories for each mom, but the
config file is a symlink to somewhere on the shared file system.

> /User/homes/USER ist the path to the users $HOME.
> Also stored in LDAP (homeDirectory)
>
> $usecp *:/User/homes /User/homes    ?

This (without the question mark) looks to me to say that any directory that
is /User/homes on any machine is viewable on any of the compute nodes.

> *) How can I add the domain for sending e-mail ?

I believe mail_domain is the parameter you're looking for:

qmgr -c 'set server mail_domain=<desired domain>'

> *) I asked before, if I can install torque (for testing) while LSF is
> still active (and used inthe moment). It worked so far,
> but 2h after I started the master node, this node crashed (reboot)
> without any usefull log information. Might it interact in some strange
> way ? i've tested it again (no time), so I want to ask before I crash
> regular
> some nodes of our cluster ... ;)

I would recommend avoiding this setup if possible. At the least, no one
tests that our software is able to do this and it seems likely that they
would interfere with each others' jobs and general operating. If possible,
I'd recommend selecting a few nodes from the cluster to remove from LSF's
view, configure for TORQUE, and test. I think that's most likely to give
you a picture of how TORQUE behaves.

> --
> Thanks and bye,
>     Peer