[torqueusers] Warning message for /bin/tcsh users

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Thu Feb 6 14:01:59 MST 2014

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014, Gustavo Correa wrote:

> If I remember right, this has been a (harmless) csh/tcsh annoyance
> since the days of the old PBS, before it was renamed Torque.
> You can find several postings about it, on this mailing list archives and on
> Google, along with the workaround that you figured out.
> It seems to be just a (correct) warning: the job script doesn't have access to TTY,
> cannot be suspended, put on the background, etc.

In addition to the earlier torqueusers postings, I've found several
local HPC sites that mention this warning message in their FAQ and
instruct their users to either ignore the message or use '-S /bin/sh' in
their PBS scripts. I'm gathering this information to help demonstrate that
this message is a known but harmless issue.

The only issue I've noticed so far with '-S /bin/sh' comes up when the
user runs 'qsub -I foo.pbs'. When the compute node shell prompt comes up,
it's a /bin/sh shell rather than the user's usual shell. This can be
avoided if the user omits '-S /bin/sh' from the PBS script by commenting
it out or worked around by the user manually launching a new shell by
entering 'tcsh', 'bash', or whatever. Only a few of my users seem to use
'qsub -I' at all and even fewer users use tcsh so I doubt this will come
up very often.

Thanks,
Dave
--