[torqueusers] Warning message for /bin/tcsh users

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Wed Feb 5 10:46:27 MST 2014

Hi,

Our HPC has one user who prefers the tcsh shell. He's reported that the
output for all of the jobs he submits with 'qsub' contain these messages:

Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell.

The messages are plainly visible when I run 'strings /bin/tcsh' so they're
definitely being issued by tcsh. I've added 'echo' statements to
/etc/csh.login to indicate when that script starts and when it calls the
/etc/profile.d/*.csh scripts. The above messages appear before
/etc/csh.login starts.

I've suggested writing PBS scripts like this as a workaround:

#!/bin/tcsh

#PBS -S /bin/sh

This gets rid of the messages because /bin/sh rather than /bin/tcsh is
launching the PBS script (with the script itself being run by /bin/tcsh
thanks to the magic bang) but one of my fellow administrators feels that
this isn't a very good workaround. Personally I'm comfortable with it
other than the fact that if the user runs his job interactively ('qsub -I
foo.pbs') the shell he gets will be /bin/sh instead of /bin/tcsh.

Assuming that my user isn't going to give up on tcsh, do you have any
suggestions other than '#PBS -S /bin/sh' that would get rid of the
offending messages and give the user his preferred shell for interactive
jobs?

FYI, the cluster nodes are running RHEL 6.2 with the most recent tcsh RPM
(tcsh-6.17-24.el6.x86_64) installed. TORQUE is release 4.2.5 and our
scheduler is Moab 6.1.5.

Thanks,
Dave
--