[torqueusers] Slot limit issues (still)

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Tue Sep 24 10:44:06 MDT 2013

Ken,

Yes, they are in a blocked state (batch hold) per section 10-e of the mwm documentation:
In most cases, a job violating these policies is not placed into a batch hold immediately; rather, it is deferred. The parameterDEFERTIME<http://docs.adaptivecomputing.com/mwm/Content/a.fparameters.html#defertime> indicates how long it is deferred. At this time, it is allowed back into the idle queue and again considered for scheduling. If it again is unable to run at that time or at any time in the future, it is again deferred for the timeframe specified by DEFERTIME. A job is released and deferred up to DEFERCOUNT<http://docs.adaptivecomputing.com/mwm/Content/a.fparameters.html#defercount> times at which point the scheduler places a batch hold on the job and waits for a system administrator to determine the correct course of action. Deferred jobs have a Moab state of Deferred. As with jobs in the BatchHold state, the reason the job was deferred can be determined by use of the checkjob command.
At any time, a job can be released from any hold or deferred state using the releasehold<http://docs.adaptivecomputing.com/mwm/Content/commands/releasehold.html> command. The Moab logs should provide detailed information about the cause of any batch hold or job deferral.

Oddly, in my case, I can get no info from the checkjob command:
State: Hold
.
.
NOTE:  job cannot run  (job has hold in place)
BLOCK MSG: non-idle state 'Hold' (recorded at last scheduling iteration)

And doing releasehold doesn't help:
[root at hamming ~]# releasehold -a  20139590[1561]
holds not modified for job 20139590[1561]  ( hold still in place)

So it seems, somehow, somewhere, torque thinks this user/job has 512 slots already taken...

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California