[torqueusers] Slot limit issues (still)

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Tue Sep 24 09:30:28 MDT 2013

Ok, This one is still going on with the same array job.

I have many array jobs (same parent job) that have gone into a 'blocked' status because they couldn't start in a timely manner (DEFERTIME/DEFERCOUNT). Not unsual for a sizeable array job with slot limits (set server max_slot_limit = 512).

So I want to start some of these jobs. The user has NO jobs currently running (there ARE other jobs running, only 5 are other array jobs, but a different user).

I am trying with job 20139590[1561]

Here is what I try/get:

[root at cluster ~]# qrls 20139590[1561]

[root at cluster ~]# qrun 20139590[1561]

qrun: Invalid request MSG=Cannot run job. Array slot limit is 512 and there are already 512 jobs running

20139590[1561].cluster

[root at cluster ~]# qrerun 20139590[1561]

qrerun: Request invalid for state of job MSG=job 20139590[1561].cluster is in a bad state 20139590[1561].cluster

I have tried restarting pbs_server and looked at the output of pbsnodes to see if there are any of this job floating around, but there is not. Also checked on each node for anything for that job/user.. Nothing there as well.

Any ideas what is going on here and/or how to get these jobs running?

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California