[torqueusers] Torque scheduler not informed about new jobs?

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Sep 20 09:35:02 MDT 2013

Hi Nico

If by "standard scheduler" you mean pbs_sched,
please read these recent threads:

http://www.supercluster.org/pipermail/torqueusers/2013-July/015922.html
http://www.supercluster.org/pipermail/torqueusers/2013-August/016026.html
http://www.supercluster.org/pipermail/torqueusers/2013-August/016029.html
http://www.supercluster.org/pipermail/torqueusers/2013-September/016141.html

To answer your question, yes, myself and others have seen this behavior.
I would suggest trying Maui instead of pbs_sched.

My two cents,
Gus Correa

On 09/19/2013 08:26 PM, Dr. Nico van Eikema Hommes (CCC) wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We recently set up a new master node, running openSUSE 12.3,
  and installed version 4.1.6 of Torque. Everything seemed to
running fine, but we noticed that freshly submitted jobs are
not run immediately even when suitable nodes are free.
Instead, they wait in the queue until the scheduler
(we use the standard scheduler at the moment) is run periodically.

> The logfile contains the lines
>
>    PBS_Server.59003;Svr;servernode;Scheduler was
sent the command time

> but no lines like
>
>    PBS_Server.54088;Svr;servernode;Scheduler was sent the command new
>
> that appear on another cluster system (with torque 4.1.0)
immediately when jobs are submitted. On this cluster,
jobs start immediately when free nodes are available.

> Jobs are submitted from the login nodes.
However, the problem occurs as well when jobs
are submitted on the master node.
> The server parameters are the same on both clusters.
> Our current workaround is to set the scheduler
interval to 60 seconds, but this isn't really a solution.

> Has anybody seen this behaviour?
Or better, does anybody know how to solve this problem?