[torqueusers] TORQUE GPU support

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Fri Sep 6 15:20:37 MDT 2013

Hi,

We recently upgraded to TORQUE 4.2.4.1 so I took the opportunity to enable
nVidia GPU support. It provides some GPU statistics in the 'pbsnodes'
output that my users might find of some use, but I'm having a challenge
with figuring out how to support it in a reliable and frugal manner.

My issue has to do with how the GPU code gets the stats by calling
'nvidia-smi -q' every few seconds. This is reasonably efficient if the
nVidia driver is using persistence mode. If it isn't, the nVidia driver is
loaded when nvidia-smi initializes the GPUs, then unloaded when nvidia-smi
exits. On our compute nodes it takes .2-.5 wall seconds for the driver
to load. This keeps an otherwise idle compute node busy enough that load
average can go above 0.20. Persistence mode eliminates the
driver load/unload overhead, but we're seeing that some user applications
can fail when they try to initialize the GPUs if the previous application
didn't properly release them. Such applications work fine when persistence
mode is disabled.

At this point our options seem to be:

1. TORQUE GPU support enabled with nVidia persistence mode on: GPU stats
and minimum driver overhead but questionable application reliability.

2. TORQUE GPU support disabled with nVidia persistence mode off: no GPU
stats with increased driver overhead but good application reliability.

3. TORQUE GPU support enabled with nVidia persistence mode off: GPU stats
and good app reliability but high driver overhead.

If you're using TORQUE GPU support, have you noticed the issue I'm seeing?
If so, how have you chosen to cope? If you've enabled nVidia persistence
mode, how are your users managing to run GPU apps that can reliably
initialize the GPUs even if the previous GPU app failed to release them
properly? Our GPU users are using CUDA 5.0.

Thanks,
Dave
--
Dave Ulrick