[torqueusers] ComputeNodes' /var/log/messages flooded with "unknown command 5"

Kamran Khan kamran at pssclabs.com
Thu Sep 5 15:22:56 MDT 2013

Hi All,

I have a HeadNode and (11) ComputeNodes, all configured with Torque.

On the ComputeNodes, the /var/log/messages files are being flooded every 10 seconds with the following message:

n001 pbs_mom: LOG_ERROR: :rpm_request, unknown command 5

So far as I can tell, I am having no problems running any jobs through Torque, but this cluster is for a customer who may see the logs and start freaking out.  Is this a common error?  Is there anyway to get rid of these messages?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kamran Khan
PSSC Labs
HPC Software Technical Engineer