[torqueusers] Newbie question

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Sep 4 09:17:02 MDT 2013

Another thing to consider is that TORQUE is the resource manager. While
pbs_sched is a scheduler, it is just a simple scheduler. Not much
intelligence. To make a good comparison between LSF and TORQUE you would
want to try Moab as your scheduler. Or at least Maui.

Ken Nielson

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Michael Arndt
<m.arndt at science-computing.de>wrote:

> Peer
>
> I think LSF and torque use different Ports by default, but of cause you
> can configure both and keep Ports apart via /etc/services or equvalent map
> in directory services
>
> The only impact that you have else is that resources like memory cpu or
> load are measured and evaluated by both schedulers for decision
>
> As long as torque does not run to many jobs both batch systems will not
> have to  much cross disturbance
> Still the cleanest thing to do would be to close some  exec hosts / nodes
> in LSF for testing purposes and leave them to torque as exec hosts
> Else both might shedule jobs simultaneously to the same free nodes
>
> Micha
>

> Am 04.09.2013 um 16:25 schrieb ad"Dr.Peer-Joachim Koch" <
> pkoch at bgc-jena.mpg.de>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > we are currently using LSF (Platform) for our cluster,
> > but we are thinking about a replacement with torque.
> > Now for testing everything I would like to ask: Has anybody
> > installed torque beside LSF on a cluster ? Can I try to do so, or might
> > I run into some big problems ? It would be nice to try a few things
> > with the real environment.
> >
> > --
> > Bye,
> >     Peer
> > <pkoch.vcf>
> > <data.bin>
>
> --
> Vorstandsvorsitzender/Chairman of the board of management:
> Gerd-Lothar Leonhart
> Vorstand/Board of Management:
> Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Michael Heinrichs,
> Dr. Arno Steitz, Dr. Ingrid Zech
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/
> Chairman of the Supervisory Board:
> Philippe Miltin
> Sitz/Registered Office: Tuebingen
> Registergericht/Registration Court: Stuttgart
> Registernummer/Commercial Register No.: HRB 382196

Ken Nielson
+1 801.717.3700 office +1 801.717.3738 fax
1712 S. East Bay Blvd, Suite 300  Provo, UT  84606
www.adaptivecomputing.com