[torqueusers] Problem with running jobs requesting multiple nodes

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 25 10:34:14 MDT 2013

On 10/24/2013 10:51 PM, Jack Hill wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013, Gus Correa wrote:
>
>> Hello Jack
>>
>> Have you tried Maui instead of pbs_sched?
>>
>> See these threads:
>> http://www.supercluster.org/pipermail/torqueusers/2013-October/016264.html
>> http://www.supercluster.org/pipermail/torqueusers/2013-September/016125.html
>> http://www.supercluster.org/pipermail/torqueusers/2013-September/016072.html
>>
>> IHIH
>> Gus Correa
>
> Gus,
>
> Thanks for the pointer. We had seen Maui and were keeping in the back of
> our minds in case we needed the implement a more complex policy. We had
> been thinking that it would be better to not add complexity when we didn't
> need it, but maybe we do :)
>
> To be clear about what is going on here: there is some bug in pbs_sched,
> that would be work around by using Maui (i.e. it's not a problem with
> pbs_server), but since Maui works an is more capable, it is not worth my
> time to figure out what the problem is.
>
> Best,
> Jack

Hi Jack

I also don't advocate adding complexity where it is not needed.
I used pbs_sched for a long time in our older clusters.
It is good for testing torque also (when it works).

I suggested Maui because it will probably work with Torque 4.X.Y.Z
whereas pbs_sched seems to be on the way to be fixed in a
future 4.X.Y.Z release. (See the threads I sent before.)

[Adaptive friends:
Is pbs_sched fixed in the upcoming 4.2.6 release?]

An alternative would be to move back to Torque 2.5.X,
or 2.4.X, and use pbs_sched.
However, in my humble opinion, re-installing Torque is more painful
in a production cluster than switching to another scheduler.
If your MPI uses the Torque libraries, you may have to reinstall it.

Maui installs easily.
You just need to configure it
--with-pbs=/your/torque/installation
(and maybe --prefix=/wherever/you/want;
--with-spooldir=/wherever/you/like).
Since you don't need a complex policy
(we still don't need here either),
you could use the boilerplate maui.cfg file,
or modify only a few items (which is what I do here).

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa