[torqueusers] multiple commands in one qsub script

Chandler Wilkerson chwilk at rice.edu
Thu Jun 27 11:11:59 MDT 2013

If you would like commands in a qsub script to run in parallel, you can
employ a useful trick we've been recommending to some of our users.

Basically, you allocate multiple cores for your job (on a single node),
then run a process per core backgrounded (with the & symbol) then put a
wait statement at the end of your script.

e.g.
#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=4
prog1 &
prog2 &
prog3 &
prog4 &

wait

This will run the four programs in parallel and wait for all of them to
finish before exiting the job.