[torqueusers] VNC service on cluster nodes with torque

Phil Regier pregier at ittc.ku.edu
Fri Jun 14 13:18:47 MDT 2013

A few of our admins wrote up some nifty interactive scripts to launch NoVNC on specially-provisioned (i.e., with virtualgl, turbovnc, local X servers, and limited open ports to the *local* network which can then be tunnelled and/or VPN'ed to the outside world as required) nodes under interactive jobs for this type of use; since NoVNC is using HTTPS there is some encryption, and there are fewer ports to open and no client software to be installed.  Not only is it blazingly fast compared to X forwarding, it also allows GPU/GL features to be enabled, which would be stripped completely by X forwarding alone.

It's not quite fully automated, but such a custom framework should allow you to choose your battles, so to speak, automating where possible and educating where necessary.

Hope this helps...

Phil