[torqueusers] UC Can we use torque 4.2.0 for single machine acting as both server and node

Rushton Martin JMRUSHTON at qinetiq.com
Mon Jan 28 04:09:45 MST 2013

Brian,

I'm afraid I must take issue with your caveat in the general case; it
all depends upon the size of the box.  Consider our previous machine
which was a 64 CPU Altix and we used Torque to handle the batch work.
Interactive logins were constrained by cpusets to the first 8 CPUs, the
remainder were assigned to the queue.  Memory usage for interactive work
was small compared to the machine as a whole; with sensible limits
Torque could allocate lots of memory to a single job when requested.
I'll admit that our workload is atypical, few users running relatively
few but quite large jobs rather than the more typical scenario of lots
of users running lots of short jobs.

Regards,

Martin