[torqueusers] How to set queue's max nodes?

Gustavo Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Sat Jan 26 12:11:04 MST 2013

I misundertood Shixing's original question.
I though he wanted to prevent each job to exceed a certain number of nodes,
but what he wants to apply the limit to the sum of all jobs in the queue, correct?

Burkhard is right.
"nodect" intent seems to be to limit the number of nodes used by all jobs in a specific queue,
whereas  AFAIK "nodes" limits the number of nodes each job can request when submitted to
a specific queue, right?

Things may have changed in recent versions, but "nodes" , with the
interpretation above, works for me in Torque 2.4.11, with Maui 3.2.6p21.

However, "nodect", with the interpretation above, doesn't work for me,
as Shixing also noted, even if I add "ppn=8" to my qsub command,
to request all processors in my nodes, and try to exhaust the available resources and hit the nodect limit.
Maybe there is a way to implement what Shixing wants in Maui?

Quoting the Torque Admin Guide, section 4.1.1, "Queues attributes":

"nodes	integer	Specifies the number of nodes "
[Note, integer, not a string.  Not in this context at least.]

"nodect	integer 	Sets the number of nodes available. By default, TORQUE will set the number of nodes available to the number of nodes listed in the $TORQUE_HOME/server_priv/nodes file. nodect can be set to be greater than or less than that number. Generally, it is used to set the node count higher than the number of physical nodes in the cluster."

http://docs.adaptivecomputing.com/torque/4-1-3/help.htm#topics/4-serverPolicies/queueAttributes.htm

Admittedly, the Guide wording is not very clear.
It could include "on a per queue basis", "on a per job basis", or something the like,
to clarify the context.
The final sentence in "nodect" sounds a bit awkward.
Does it work to set the node count *smaller* than the number
of physical nodes?
Does this depend on the scheduler configuration?  [pbs_sched, Maui, Moab]

Somebody from Adaptive could clarify.

Gus Correa