[torqueusers] remote submit hosts, job naming issues

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:36:57 MST 2013

Hi everyone,

We have a few virtual machines that run some applications that submit
jobs to our cluster.  These applications are using the pbs_python
library, which works fine.  However, I've noticed some annoying
behavior using the TORQUE clients to manage jobs from that submit
host.

gbeane at submit_host:~> echo "sleep 600" | qsub -l nodes=1:ppn=1,walltime=00:10:00
251428.cluster_name
gbeane at submit_host::~> qdel 251428
qdel: Unknown Job Id 251428.cluster_name.mydomain.tld
gbeane at submit_host::~> qdel 251428.cluster_name
qdel: Unknown Job Id 251428.cluster_name.mydomain.tld
gbeane at submit_host::~> qdel 251428.cluster_name at cluster_name
gbeane at submit_host::~>

When the clients were compiled the hostname (short name) of our
cluster head node was set as the default server.  Does anyone know of
a way to get around this?  Ideally I would like "qdel 251428" to work,
 or at least "qdel 251428.cluster_name".