[torqueusers] PBS environmental variables and -V

Matthew Britt msbritt at umich.edu
Wed Jan 23 15:30:21 MST 2013

As a counter argument, the value of PBS_NODEFILE isn't getting set to the same value for the second job.   Like PBS_NODEFILE, I would expect the PBS_O variables get set correctly for the submitted job and not the environment passed into it.  It isn't consistent w/ PBS_O variables either, as PBS_O_QUEUE is overwritten w/ the correct value (I exported a different value into PBS_O_QUEUE to check).

fwiw, we're using Environmental Modules, so we set several variables for software packages, like license servers, process launchers (like hydra), etc.  The users might not be aware that these variables are necessary, so we have the users load appropriate module(s) and submit with -V.

If the PBS_O_ variables are treated differently than PBS_ variables, that's fine; I was curious if it was by design or was a bug.

 - Matt

Matthew Britt
CAEN HPC Group - College of Engineering
msbritt at umich.edu