[torqueusers] question qsub submission shell setting

Nelson Tong tongsnelson.ise at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 15:28:45 MST 2013

I have a problem with the use of shell-setting directive in a script:

for example if I do the following, my script will not run and tracejob
gives  Exit_status=1
#!/bin/tcsh
#PBS -S /bin/tcsh
#PBS -u long
#PBS -N test
cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR;
touch testdone

But if I have the following directive setting in place, then the
script will run without problem, tracejob gives Exit_status=0.

!/bin/tcsh
#PBS -S /bin/tcsh at headnode.'sometext'
#PBS -u long
#PBS -N test
cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR;
touch testone

And this happends only with tcsh shell. if I try to subsititute PBS -S
line with only  "PBS -S /bin/sh" , then the script will run fine in
the cluster .

what can be causing the issue? will the use of different version of
torque cause problem like this ?