[torqueusers] ppn + hostlist

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Wed Dec 4 10:38:34 MST 2013

Glen,

Thanks for the clarity, however that still doesn’t work.

qsub -I -l nodes=compute-3-1:ppn=2+compute-3-5:ppn=2+compute-7-1:ppn=2+compute-7-3:ppn=2+compute-3-7:ppn=2

The job shows up waiting to run and checkjob tells me:

Req[0]  TaskCount: 8  Partition: ALL
Opsys: ---  Arch: ---  Features: compute-3-1
Dedicated Resources Per Task: PROCS: 1  MEM: 1024M
Required HostList:
[compute-3-5:2][compute-7-1:2][compute-7-3:2][compute-3-7:2]

So the HostList is comprised of all the listed nodes EXCEPT the first one, which gets tagged as a feature.

Also that seems to require I specify exactly everything I need.
The scenario I am working with is: I want 2 nodes with 2 ppn, but they can come from any node(s) from a list of several.
Using the ‘correct syntax’, I would end up with 2 procs on each node listed.

I see a similar issue with trying to use procs with a nodelist.
Not sure if that is possible, but apparently users had been doing that too:

qsub -I -l procs=32 -l nodes=compute-3-1+compute-3-5+compute-7-1+compute-7-3+compute-3-7

This again creates a HostList of all but the first named node, which is tagged as a feature requirement

Seems like something is parsing stuff oddly.

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California