[torqueusers] ppn + hostlist

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Wed Dec 4 00:12:21 MST 2013

All,

Something seems to have changed either in torque or moab (I am thinking moab).

If I want to request 2 nodes with 2 ppn from a particular hostlist, we used to:
qsub -l nodes=2:ppn=2:node01+node02+node03

But now that does not work. It errors with:
qsub: submit error (Job rejected by all possible destinations (check syntax, queue resources, ...))

However I can:
qsub -l nodes=2:ppn=2 -l nodes=node01+node02+node03

But... that gives me 3 procs from those available in the nodelist (basically it ignores the first "-l" directive)

And if I try:
qsub -l nodes=1:node01+node02+node03

It ends up putting the node names as a required features, which of course no single node has all of... o.O
Such jobs end up never running until I force them with 'qrun'

So, how do I request  X nodes with Y PPN from resources constrained to a particular list of hosts?

The current use case is for users that want to ensure their job lands on the same nodes as they to timing comparisons.

This is torque 4.2.6 and moab 7.2.6

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School