[torqueusers] Who Has the most users?

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Aug 28 12:07:53 MDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Michael Jennings <mej at lbl.gov> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 28 August 2013, at 11:54:57 (-0600),
> David Beer wrote:
>
> > We are asking because we're just curious how many users sites
> > have. Someone was asked me how many users the biggest sites had, so
> > I just wanted to ask to find out. I believe the person was asking me
> > to find out where we are in order to gauge how much work it'll be to
> > support more users going forward.
>
> Fair enough.  Though I suspect the support burden is more accurately
> defined in terms of nodes and jobs; I'm not sure simultaneous users is
> really a significant factor...is it?  Is there an appreciable
> difference in TORQUE between 1 user with 30,000 jobs and 300 users
> with 100 jobs each?

There are only minor considerations for having different users. In general,
I agree with what you're saying.

> > As a note on establishing limits in the code - our goal is to remove
> limits
> > from the code. A big part of moving to C++ is the desire to more readily
> > support resizing containers and data structures, and I hope people see
> that
> > we're trying to remove static limits on quantities in our code.
>
> Yay!  I hope the Moab engineers are following suit!  ;-)

I know not everyone here uses Moab, but I can tell you that Moab and TORQUE
are in lockstep in this effort and that in general you can expect to see
them more in lockstep as we move forward.

David

> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Jennings <mej at lbl.gov>