[torqueusers] Who Has the most users?

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Aug 28 11:54:57 MDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Michael Jennings <mej at lbl.gov> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM, David Beer
> <dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com> wrote:
>
> > Pardon my ignorance, but I'm curious how many users are a lot of users
> for a
> > cluster. Does anyone out there use more than 500?
>
> We have over 500, and we're not that big.  We're considered
> "midrange."  The larger centers like NERSC and LLNL have user counts
> well into the thousands.
>
> Are you asking because you're establishing some sort of limit in the
> code, or for testing purposes, or...?  If you want to test scaling
> properties, you'll need to tack another order of magnitude on there.
> :-)

We are asking because we're just curious how many users sites have. Someone
was asked me how many users the biggest sites had, so I just wanted to ask
to find out. I believe the person was asking me to find out where we are in
order to gauge how much work it'll be to support more users going forward.

As a note on establishing limits in the code - our goal is to remove limits
from the code. A big part of moving to C++ is the desire to more readily
support resizing containers and data structures, and I hope people see that
we're trying to remove static limits on quantities in our code.

David

> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Jennings <mej at lbl.gov>