[torqueusers] spreading load over nodes

Rob Holmes Rob.Holmes at bmtwbm.com.au
Wed Sep 12 16:57:01 MDT 2012

Hi all,

We have a small cluster (running torque & pbs_sched) that is only occasionally fully utilized.  Most of the time there are not enough jobs to fill all the nodes.

When a job is submitted it always goes to the first available node in the node list, resulting in ‘node01’ getting significantly more work than ‘node14’.  I’m keen to spread the workload more evenly across each node.  Is there a way to get torque to pick a free node at random, rather than the first free node on the list?

Cheers,
Rob

Rob Holmes
Environmental Scientist – Catchments and Receiving Environments

BMT WBM Pty Ltd
Level 8, 200 Creek Street
Brisbane QLD 4000 Australia

P: +61 7 3831 6744

F:

W: www.bmtwbm.com.au

[cid:imagef91cc8.GIF at 77c47869.44bece23]<http://www.bmtwbm.com.au/>          [cid:image2241b1.GIF at bfeb77d1.4488039a] <http://www.bmt.org/times100best>

E-mail confidentiality notice and disclaimer:
<http://www.bmt.org/times100best>The contents of this e-mail are intended for the use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you are not allowed to read, action, copy, forward, distribute or disclose the contents and you should delete it from your system. BMT WBM accepts no liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this e-mail, nor does it accept liability for statements which are those of the author and clearly not made on behalf of the company.

Commercial Terms and Conditions:
Unless otherwise agreed by BMT WBM in writing, all services or products supplied by BMT WBM shall be subject to and governed by BMT WBM’s standard terms and conditions, which are available upon request.