[torqueusers] how to browse the stdout and stderr files of a running batch job

mauede at alice.it mauede at alice.it
Wed Oct 31 21:44:46 MDT 2012

I submit long Monte Carlo simulations to the PBS scheduler. I redirect each simulation stdout and stderr to a uniquely named file. Unluckily, as far as I know, PBS does not allow me to peep at such a file before the simulation is finished, whether it has completed OK or has aborted.
Some super-computer centers have developed commands, like qcat, qpeep, that allow for monitoring number-cruncher programs and browse their stdout and stderr. This feature helps saving a lot of CPU time when the submitted jobs are not doing what is expected.
Is there a free-ware implementation of qcat or qpeep  from some websites ?
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
maura