[torqueusers] upgrading from 3.0.2 to 4.1.2 with NUMA support

Tom Rosmond rosmond at reachone.com
Mon Oct 15 12:58:04 MDT 2012

I have been successfully running Torque version 3.0.2 for several months
on a 2 NUMA node workstation.  Recently I decided to try upgrading to
4.1.2.  I essentially duplicated my 3.0.2 setup, i.e. the same
'configure' options, the same 'server_priv/nodes' and
'mom_priv/mom_layout' files.  Here are those details:

./configure --prefix=/opt/torque --enable-numa-support
--enable-libcpuset

'nodes' file
    fir.reachone.com np=32 num_numa_nodes=2

'mom_layout' file
     cpus=0-15   mem=0
     cpus=16-31  mem=1

As I said, these are identical to what I used to successfully configure
with 3.0.2.

Yet when I try to start 'pbs_mom', I get this:

root at fir:~# /opt/torque/sbin/pbs_mom
pbs_mom: LOG_ERROR::No such file or directory (2) in read_layout_file,
Unable to read the layout file in /var/spool/torque/mom_priv/mom.layout

pbs_mom: LOG_ERROR::setup_nodeboards, Could not read layout file!

The other daemons (pbs_server, trqauthd) start successfully, so there
must be something different vis-a-vis pbs_mom for NUMA configuration
between 3.0.2 and 4.1.2. I have looked carefully at 'config.log' and
everything seems normal.  And the 'mom.layout' file is clearly present.
Any suggestions?

T. Rosmond