[torqueusers] Prevent users to run commands directly

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Nov 7 03:57:27 MST 2012

On 07/11/12 21:13, Pablo Guaza Peces wrote:

> Hi Everybody!

Hi Pablo,

> I just got my little cluster ready for execution and I was wondering
> if there's a way to prevent users to execute their programs directly,
> and only allow them to do that through Torque with qsub command.
>
> I guess that all the programs that are run directly form the terminal
> bypassing Torque, prevent it to be 'conscious' of the resources
> usage, is that right?

I guess there are two parts to this

1) Keeping users from ssh'ing into compute nodes when they don't have a
job running there - there's a PAM module that comes with Torque that can
be configured to do just that.   You need to pass the --with-pam option
to configure when building it to get it compiled and of course you need
to ensure it gets installed & configured correctly on the compute nodes.

2) Stop users running CPU intensive jobs on the login nodes - that's
harder, it's a combination of education, setting CPU limits for users
via /etc/security/limits.conf on the login node and judicious use of the
kill command and "wall".. :-)

Best of luck!
Chris