[torqueusers] kill_delay in torque 2.5.9

Chris Berthiaume chrisbee at uw.edu
Tue Mar 20 15:17:51 MDT 2012

I'm trying to get an extended kill_delay working with torque 2.5.9, but so
far I haven't been able to exceed a 5 second delay between SIGTERM and
SIGKILL.  After reading various mailing list entries it looks like this
issue has been encountered in the past and with 2.5.9 it should be possible
to set a longer kill_delay.  Here's how I've configured pbs_server and

$ qmgr -c 'print queue gross'
# Create and define queue gross
create queue gross
set queue gross queue_type = Execution
set queue gross resources_default.neednodes = gross
set queue gross kill_delay = 30
set queue gross enabled = True
set queue gross started = True

$ cat /opt/torque/mom_priv/config
$ignwalltime false
$kill_delay true

To test these settings I run a submit script that traps SIGTERM and in that
trap prints the date every second.  Then I issue a qdel for this job.  Only
5 seconds worth of date output from the SIGTERM trap function appears.  Is
there anything more I need to do to enable kill_delay?  I gather it's
pbs_mom which is subverting the server kill_delay and sending SIGKILL to
the job after 5 seconds, but the undocumented mom config option
"$kill_delay true" should override this.  Here's my submit script.

function termtrap() {
    while true; do
        sleep 1

trap termtrap SIGTERM