[torqueusers] Email Notification without #PBS -M

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Sat Mar 17 12:05:17 MDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Joseph A. Farran <jfarran at uci.edu> wrote:
> I forgot to say that simply having:
>
>     #PBS -m abe
>
> without "#PBS -M " will not send email.
>

> On 3/17/2012 10:50 AM, Joseph A. Farran wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> I am using Torque 2.5.10 If I am reading the Torque manual correctly, one
> can have:
>
>      #PBS -m abe
>
> without the "#PBS -M email at address".    On page 135 of the Torque admin when
> talking about "#PBS -M"it says:
>
> "If unset, the list defaults to the submitting user at the qsub host, i.e.
> the job owner."
>
> How can I have "#PBS -m abe" without including "#PBS -M me at mysite"?
>
> I have several pbs examples that our users use and I want an automatic "#PBS
> -M $USER"
>
> By the way, "#PBS -M <mylogin>" works but not "#PBS -M $USER".

it works for me here. but i had to make an effort so
that local mail submission on the cluster forwards
e-mails to a canonical email address. otherwise
the emails will just sit in your mail spool forever.
which is the better way, depends on your preferences
and the MTA you want to use.

in short, it is an issue of configuring the local
mail setup, not so much of the torque setup.

axel.