[torqueusers] torque 2.5.11 - Sect 1.1.4 TORQUE as a service

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Jun 14 17:01:05 MDT 2012

On 06/14/2012 05:48 PM, John Keller wrote:
> I gather from p. 12 of the Administrator's Guide that TORQUE can be
> installed as a service. On the server, on each node, or on all the
> above (in my SUSE v 12 cluster).
> It looks to me like on the server, suse.pbs_server and suse.pbs_sched
> would go into /etc/init.d/. and then be turned on with insserv
> commands. And on each compute node, suse.pbs_mom would go into the
> same directory, and likewise be turned on by an insserv command.
> Is this correct?
> John Keller

Hi John

I can't speak about Suse, but what you say sounds very similar
to what we do on RHEL/CentOS/Fedora:

Put the pbs_server startup
script in /etc/init.d in the Torque server, put the pbs_mom
startup script in /etc/init.d in the various compute nodes.
The use chkconfig [which I presume the Suse counterpart is insserv]
to configure each service to startup on boot at various runlevels,
respectively on the server and the  compute nodes.

To activate both, either reboot everything, or just start
the services manually this first time with
'service start pbs_server' on the Torque server,
and likewise for pbs_mom on all nodes.

A point your description seems to be missing is the scheduler.
You could be using pbs_sched or maui [not both].
Either way, the procedure to start them as services is
similar to that used to start pbs_server on the Torque server.

Make sure you create a $TORQUE/server_priv/nodes file that
reflects the nodes and processors/cores_per_node of your cluster.

Make sure you configure your server too, create queues,
enable job scheduling, etc.
These are qmgr commands that you can gather in a text file,
say torque_server_configuration,
for ease of documentation, then just run them with:

qmgr -c < torque_server_configuration

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa