[torqueusers] Torque 3.0.3 and chroot environment

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Thu Jun 7 10:16:48 MDT 2012

Kunal,

I have done a chroot environment with TORQUE - it worked fine. I was doing
this for testing with sleep jobs, and the chroot was because I didn't want
it to interact with anything else on the machine. I'm not sure what you're
attempting to accomplish, but you may want to consider looking into the
multi-mom feature (available starting in 3.0.0) that we also use a lot for
testing. I have actually abandoned my chroot environment in favor of using
the multi-moms.

http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/torque/3-0-3/1.8multimom.php

David

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Kunal Rao <kunalgrao at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone tried chroot environment for Torque 3.0.3 or later version ?
> I'm thinking of having multiple chroot environment on the same system, each
> representing a compute node and build a cluster.
>
> So, even though there are say only 2 physical machines ( 1 server and 1
> compute node), we should be able to make a cluster of say 4 nodes. Assuming
> that the 1 physical compute node can have 3 chroot environment,
> each having its own virtual IP and communicating with the master as 3
> independent compute nodes. Head node / server will see as if there are 4
> nodes and the scheduler will aallocate jobs accordingly.
>
> Is this feasible and can work without any source code modifications to pbs
> server  / pbs mom ?
>
> Thanks,
> Kunal

David Beer | Software Engineer