[torqueusers] Torque/Maui queues priority questions

Allan Tran tran.v.allan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 09:37:03 MDT 2012

Hi everyone, I'm taking a new role of managing a small cluster. I worked
with torque/maui before but just a single batch queue. I need some
advice/guidence for following configurations:
Current configs:
Large queue: 20 nodes (unlimited hours)
normal queue: 4 nodes (2 hrs)
Route queue to sends job to appropriate large/small based on resource
request, default is

Now a new department purchase their own compute nodes (8 nodes) and like to
have 2 queues A (max 4 hours) and B (unlimited walltime)
They will share these nodes with the rest of the cluster users but when
they need to run jobs, they want to have the first priority to use new 8
nodes (queue A and/or B)

What I'm thinking now is add a new group for this department and only allow
people in the group to run in A or B but I think that will prevent everyone
else from using these nodes when the nodes are idle.
Can anyone provide me a better solution? Thank you much.
Allan.