[torqueusers] specify job id

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 25 15:51:06 MST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Hakeem Almabrazi <halmabrazi at idtdna.com> wrote:
> Thank you everyone for helping me with this.
>

> The only reason why I want to do that is to be able to track that job
> specifically.  I am building a service to submit jobs to Torque.  The same
> service will have to wait till the job is done and return the results back
> to the call.  So the service need to know when the job is completed to load
> back the results.  I thought, the best way is for that service to keep
> asking the Torque on the status of the submitted job rather than looking up
> file(s) in the file system.
>

> So the service has to assign a number to the job and then force Torque to
> use that number.  Now if the service wants to know the status of that job,
> it can asks the Torque server using the same job number.  It might be over
> kill way of doing things but that is the requirement.   Now there might be a
> better way of doing that.  I would love to hear it if someone else has
> better approach than this.

well, as was mentioned before, you can just take
advantage of the fact that the qsub command returns
a canonicalized job id. if that is too complicated, you
could use the -N flag to qsub. this will assign a job
name (default is the name of the submitted script
unless otherwise specified) and track that one.

both methods have the advantage of not requiring
any superuser or queue manager privileges and
thus pose no risk of corrupting the queue system status.

cheers,
    axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey at gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/