[torqueusers] Do I have to define the ncpus for a compute node?

Ryan Golhar ngsbioinformatics at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 08:59:25 MST 2012

Hi - I have a ROCKS cluster running and installed Torque.  I'm able to
submit 1 core, 1 cpu jobs without problem.  I tried submitting a job that
requested 4 cpus on 1 node using

#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=4

in my job submission script.  When I submit the job however, I get the

qsub: Job exceeds queue resource limits MSG=cannot locate feasible nodes
(nodes file is empty or requested nodes exceed all systems)

If I run anodes, I see:

     state = free
     np = 8
     ntype = cluster
     status =
15201,sessions=? 15201,uname=Linux compute-0-0.local 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 #1
SMP Fri Jul 15 07:31:24 EDT 2011 x86_64,opsys=linux
     gpus = 0

All my compute nodes have 8 cpus.  Do I need to tell Torque this?  I
thought Torque could figure this out from np=8 or ncpus=8.