[torqueusers] Performance of non-GPU codes on GPU nodes reduced by nvidia-smi overhead

Doug Johnson djohnson at osc.edu
Fri Feb 17 15:12:13 MST 2012

At Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:10:41 -0700,
David Beer wrote:
> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> [1.2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> Doug,
> I have created a ticket for our documentation team to note that the TDK is where nvml.h can be found.
> We also thank you for the patch. I believe there is some more work that needs to be done beyond just
> this change, but we will look to get those done very soon. I think it would be ideal to allow people to
> use the same binary for both GPU enabled and non-GPU enabled nodes.

Yeah, conceptual versus actually working.  There's no really proper
way to do this with how the gpu code is currently inline with many
ifdefs.  It's a surprisingly small number of entry points that need to
be modified.  See the attached patch, this allows an NVML enabled
build to run on either a GPU or non-GPU node.  If all the GPU routines
were moved into their own file this could be done cleanly and without
a lot of effort.

PS. caveat emptor with the patch, I've run two jobs on the nodes so
it's not exactly thought out.

PPS. Should move thread to torque devel, sorry.