[torqueusers] Performance of non-GPU codes on GPU nodes reduced by nvidia-smi overhead

Doug Johnson djohnson at osc.edu
Fri Feb 17 15:12:13 MST 2012

At Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:10:41 -0700,
David Beer wrote:

> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
>
> [1.2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> Doug,
>
> I have created a ticket for our documentation team to note that the TDK is where nvml.h can be found.
>
> We also thank you for the patch. I believe there is some more work that needs to be done beyond just
> this change, but we will look to get those done very soon. I think it would be ideal to allow people to
> use the same binary for both GPU enabled and non-GPU enabled nodes.

Yeah, conceptual versus actually working.  There's no really proper
way to do this with how the gpu code is currently inline with many
ifdefs.  It's a surprisingly small number of entry points that need to
be modified.  See the attached patch, this allows an NVML enabled
build to run on either a GPU or non-GPU node.  If all the GPU routines
were moved into their own file this could be done cleanly and without
a lot of effort.

Doug

PS. caveat emptor with the patch, I've run two jobs on the nodes so
it's not exactly thought out.

PPS. Should move thread to torque devel, sorry.