[torqueusers] submitting a job (interactively) issue

Gustavo Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Sat Feb 11 16:01:25 MST 2012

Hi Hakeem

Not sure if I understood right the issue.
Anyway, did the job return a shell prompt to you?
That is what it is expected to do.

From 'man qsub':

"       If the -I option is specified on the command line or in a script
       directive, or if the "interactive" job attribute  declared  true
       via  the  -W  option, -W interactive=true, either on the command
       line or in a script directive, the job is  an  interactive  job.
       The  script  will  be  processed for directives, but will not be
       included with the job.  When the job begins execution, all input
       to  the  job  is from the terminal session in which qsub is run-
       ning."

Only the #PBS directives in your shell script [if any] would be processed, not the commands.

Have you tried to submit the job without the shell script?

>> qsub –l nodes=1 –N jobName –I –v “some parameters”

This should give you a shell prompt in one of the nodes.
From there you can 'cd' to your work directory [cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR],
and run the shell script [./shellscript].
All I/O is on the terminal, no stderr/stdout files are generated.
At the end just do CTRL-D at the shell prompt to end the job.

Check the details in 'man qsub'.

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa