[torqueusers] Using Torque as a meta-scheduler over several clusters; any advice?

Coyle, James J [ITACD] jjc at iastate.edu
Mon Feb 6 10:56:54 MST 2012

    Currently, we use a different head node for each cluster we deploy.
The head node runs the server and scheduler.  I've been asked if it possible to
schedule several clusters from a single login node.
    From a hardware standpoint, one could use virtual machines to accomplish
this, but the idea was to somehow direct all the jobs from a single login node
to somehow make it easier for users.

   What is being described sounds a lot like a grid.

   Has anyone done this?

   Can schedulers run on the "head node" of each clusters with a single pbs_server
running on the master head node to interact with the users?

   Is the way to do this to set specific properties on the nodes from specific clusters
(cluster1, cluster2, ...) to use MAUI and to have need_nodes set for different queues
small_cluster1 ... ?

   Has someone "rolled their own" meta-scheduler?

Thanks,

-         Jim

James Coyle, PhD
High Performance Computing Group
 115 Durham Center
 Iowa State Univ.           phone: (515)-294-2099
Ames, Iowa 50011           web: http://jjc.public.iastate.edu/