[torqueusers] Short of physical memory, crash?

Tian, Dong dong.tian at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 16:35:59 MST 2012

Dear Experts,

I have the following question as a cluster user. My job is to submit jobs
to the cluster to do simulations. Forgive me if my question sound simple.
:-)

In one example, on one compute node, there are 48 GB RAM, 12 cores/CPUs. If
each job take <4GB RAM, there should be no any issue to run 12 jobs on one
node.

Now the problem is that one job takes 4.5 GB physical RAM at peak, say as
reported by qstat -f. If 12 such jobs are submitted and running on one
compute node. Are there any risks to crash down the compute node? Let us
assume the job program is written in a safe manner.

My understanding is that the compute node may crash from the shortage of
memory, but want to have confirmation from you guys.

Appreciate your time!

Thanks,
Dong