[torqueusers] multiple jobs: yes, no, maybe

Jack Wilkinson jwilkinson at stoneeagle.com
Thu Dec 20 16:02:53 MST 2012

We have a -small- cluster configured.  Four dedicated nodes and one node that shares the function of the headbox.

I had a user ask a question today that I wasn't sure how to answer.  In our current configuration, if we, for example, drop 12 jobs into the queue, the systems run the first five, as a node becomes available, the next job in the queue starts running until all 12 jobs have been run.  There is only one job on any one node at a time.

The user wanted to know if it was possible to have more than one job running on a node at a time?  I honestly didn't have an answer for him.

My feeling is that the whole purpose of the cluster is to give the power of a whole node to process a job and not have to share it.

Might I get some input from the crowd??

Happy holidays to all!
jack

Jack Wilkinson, Programmer
Services | VPay(r)
P: 972.367-6622
jwilkinson at stoneeagle.com<mailto:jwilkinson at stoneeagle.com>
www.stoneeagle.com<http://www.stoneeagle.com/>
www.vpayusa.com<http://www.vpayusa.com/>

111 W. Spring Valley Rd., #100
Richardson, TX 75081

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you received this email and are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by email reply and destroy all copies of the original message.