[torqueusers] MAUI / Torque integration problems.

Coyle, James J [ITACD] jjc at iastate.edu
Mon Dec 17 09:20:21 MST 2012

I forgot to append the maui.cfg file,  here it is:

# maui.cfg 3.2.6p20

SERVERNAME            hpcg1.its.iastate.edu
SERVERHOST            hpcg1.its.iastate.edu

# primary admin must be first in list
ADMIN1                root

# Resource Manager Definition

RMCFG[base] TYPE=PBS  HOST=hpcg1.its.iastate.edu

# Allocation Manager Definition

AMCFG[bank]  TYPE=NONE

# full parameter docs at http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/a.fparameters.html
# use the 'schedctl -l' command to display current configuration

RMPOLLINTERVAL        00:00:30

SERVERMODE            NORMAL

# Admin: http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/a.esecurity.html

LOGFILE               maui.log
LOGFILEMAXSIZE        10000000
LOGLEVEL              3

# Job Priority: http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/5.1jobprioritization.html

QUEUETIMEWEIGHT       1

# FairShare: http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/6.3fairshare.html

#FSPOLICY              PSDEDICATED
#FSDEPTH               7
#FSINTERVAL            86400
#FSDECAY               0.80

# Throttling Policies: http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/6.2throttlingpolicies.html

# NONE SPECIFIED

# Backfill: http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/8.2backfill.html

BACKFILLPOLICY        FIRSTFIT
RESERVATIONPOLICY     CURRENTHIGHEST

# Node Allocation: http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/5.2nodeallocation.html

NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY  MINRESOURCE

# QOS: http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/7.3qos.html

# QOSCFG[hi]  PRIORITY=100 XFTARGET=100 FLAGS=PREEMPTOR:IGNMAXJOB
# QOSCFG[low] PRIORITY=-1000 FLAGS=PREEMPTEE

# Standing Reservations: http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/7.1.3standingreservations.html

# SRSTARTTIME[test] 8:00:00
# SRENDTIME[test]   17:00:00
# SRDAYS[test]      MON TUE WED THU FRI
# SRTASKCOUNT[test] 20
# SRMAXTIME[test]   0:30:00

# Cred Component
CREDWEIGHT 0

# Creds: http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/6.1fairnessoverview.html

# USERCFG[DEFAULT]      FSTARGET=25.0
# USERCFG[john]         PRIORITY=100  FSTARGET=10.0-
# GROUPCFG[staff]       PRIORITY=1000 QLIST=hi:low QDEF=hi
# CLASSCFG[batch]       FLAGS=PREEMPTEE
# CLASSCFG[interactive] FLAGS=PREEMPTOR

   I'm a long-time pbs_sched user who would like to transition to using MAUI.

   I seem to have things set up as in the adaptive computing integration guide
at:

   http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/maui/mauistart.php

and using info about parameters from:

http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/maui/13.2rmconfiguration.php

   In particular I changed the following settings:

SERVERNAME            hpcg1.its.iastate.edu
SERVERHOST            hpcg1.its.iastate.edu

# primary admin must be first in list
ADMIN1                root

# Resource Manager Definition

RMCFG[base] TYPE=PBS  HOST=hpcg1.its.iastate.edu

and I removed
SERVERPORT            42559

so that it should use the default port (15003?).

I will append the entire maui.cfg file.

   I can ask the other questions on the mauiusers list I just joined, but this may have
something to do with TORQUE, so I am asking here.

   I appear to have everything running, but jobs just queue.  I can get a job to run
by using qrun.  It looks to me that maui and Torque are not talking.  The maui log
has nothing about any of the jobs that I submitted and deleted, or the ones I
forced to run using qrun.  I am just getting started, so pbs_server, pbs_mom and
maui all run on the same node.  (If I substitute pbs_sched for maui, everything runs fine,
so other than the scheduler and integration, everything else is working fine.)

I am most uncertain about RMCFG:

   Do I need to specify some PORT on RMCFG[base] ?  If so, what should I put?

Anything else wrong with maui.cfg or am I looking in the wrong place?

  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-         Jim

James Coyle, PhD
High Performance Computing Group
 115 Durham Center
 Iowa State Univ.           phone: (515)-294-2099
Ames, Iowa 50011           web: http://jjc.public.iastate.edu/