[torqueusers] Mix MAUI and MOAB with a single TORQUE pbs_server?

Charles Henry chenry at ittc.ku.edu
Fri Dec 7 12:48:30 MST 2012

----- Original Message -----

MOAB has a per node licensing cost--I'm guessing that's the reason for not wanting to use it on the whole cluster.  Anyway--the fact that maui itself doesn't have GPU support is not a big deal.  You just use torque's consumable resources and gpu support.  It takes some custom configuration.

> 2) Can this be done from a single Torque install (some nodes
> scheduled under MAUI,
>
> some under MOAB) or will this be like two clusters?
>

> I have never done this, but I can't see how two different schedulers
> (Moab and Maui) could support scheduling on the same Torque
> Instance. Again, if you already are going to buy Moab, you can use
> that for your whole cluster, and not use Maui.
>
> Craig

Right--you can't have two schedulers with the same resource manager.  So, if you go forward with two schedulers, you will need to have two torque resource managers running.  You can put both on the same machine, with different ports and different installation directories.  It can be done, but it's a huge headache.  If you're committed to using each Maui and MOAB (e.g. you've paid for it already), you will essentially have two clusters.