[torqueusers] Mix MAUI and MOAB with a single TORQUE pbs_server?

Craig Tierney - NOAA Affiliate craig.tierney at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 7 11:47:55 MST 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Coyle, James J [ITACD] <jjc at iastate.edu>wrote:

>  ** **
>
>   I am working with a set of researchers who would like to have a large
> cluster with****
>
> Torque as the scheduler with MAUI for the majority of the nodes, and MOAB*
> ***
>
> for about 32 GPU nodes to make use of the GPU scheduling capabilities of
> MOAB.****
>
> ** **
>
> **1)    **Is this necessary?  Is MOAB needed for a 2GPU node?****
>
> **

Maui does not support GPUs.  If you have Moab, you can get rid of Maui.

 **

> **2)    **Can this be done from a single Torque install (some nodes
> scheduled under MAUI,****
>
>         some under MOAB) or will this be like two clusters?****
>
> **

I have never done this, but I can't see how two different schedulers (Moab
and Maui) could support scheduling on the same Torque Instance.  Again, if
you already are going to buy Moab, you can use that for your whole cluster,
and not use Maui.

Craig