[torqueusers] Question to Torque community regarding display of completed jobs in qstat

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 11:54:56 MST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM, David Beer <dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com> wrote:

>> Ken,
>>
>> This could work.  There are lots of things that could work.  My point is
>> that the default behavior doesn't have any value (except it already exists).
>> I want the users (and myself) to do as little as possible.  I asked the
>> question in a way I hoped would discuss if anyone else is bothered by the
>> default behavior.  Maybe I am the only one that cares that "qstat" generates
>> too much information in a way that I think is unnecessary.
>>
>> Craig
>>

> One case for not changing the default is that Moab and Maui both depend on
> completed jobs appearing so that they can harvest appropriate information
> from them. This doesn't mean we absolutely can't change it - these could be
> made so that they request appropriately based on TORQUE versions - but it
> does mean that if we did change it then we'd break backwards compatibility
> with older versions of Moab/Maui, which is a significant consideration.

But Maui and Moab don't run the qstat executable.  What if the API
default were to return all jobs, including complete, but we could pass
a flag with the request to the server from qstat so the server knows
if the client wants information for completed jobs. We could add a
qmgr setting to change the default behavior.  qstat would include some
extra information that would specify "give me all jobs", "give me
everything but complete", or "give me the server default" (which would
be the default behavior for qstat).  I think most of the API calls
allow passing "extra" information (that may not be used by many of the
calls).  We might be able to use this to convey this information.