[torqueusers] Question to Torque community regarding display of completed jobs in qstat

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 14:39:40 MST 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Craig Tierney - NOAA Affiliate
<craig.tierney at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Glen Beane <glen.beane at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Craig Tierney - NOAA Affiliate
>> <craig.tierney at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I have a question for Torque users regarding the display of completed
>> > jobs
>> > in qstat.  Do others find the listing of completed jobs by default via
>> > qstat
>> > makes finding things in the output much more difficult and completely
>> > unnecessary?  Having the completed jobs in qstat can significantly slow
>> > down
>> > qstat if you have a lot (thousands) of completed jobs which is another
>> > hassle.
>> >
>> > I asking this because I need to be able to get error codes from
>> > completed
>> > jobs (for minutes to hours after completion).  To do this, they have to
>> > still be in the queue.  This function is very important, but not to
>> > anyone
>> > who runs qstat by hand.  Grid Engine had a way to get completed jobs,
>> > but
>> > only when asked for.
>>

>> you can use the "tracejob" command to get information, including the
>> exit status, of completed jobs.
>

> Glen,
>
> Doesn't this only work if I am root or I change the permissions on the files
> AND as a regular user I have access to the Torque server?
>
> Craig

yes, regular users would need to have read access to TORQUE logs and
have access to the TORQUE server or the relevant files would have to
be mirrored to your login node(s) and tracejob setup to find them.  I
don't think there is really anything in the server logs and the
accounting logs that couldn't be obtained from qstat, ,etc,  so we
don't have much of a problem making them readable.

I agree it might be nice to be able to query pbs_server itself for
some of this information,  but I think some of the stability and code
quality issues need to be taken care of first.