[torqueusers] Question to Torque community regarding display of completed jobs in qstat

Michael Jennings mej at lbl.gov
Mon Dec 3 14:29:16 MST 2012

On Sunday, 02 December 2012, at 11:24:00 (-0700),
Craig Tierney - NOAA Affiliate wrote:

> I have a question for Torque users regarding the display of
> completed jobs in qstat.  Do others find the listing of completed
> jobs by default via qstat makes finding things in the output much
> more difficult and completely unnecessary?  Having the completed
> jobs in qstat can significantly slow down qstat if you have a lot
> (thousands) of completed jobs which is another hassle.
>
> I asking this because I need to be able to get error codes from
> completed jobs (for minutes to hours after completion).  To do this,
> they have to still be in the queue.  This function is very
> important, but not to anyone who runs qstat by hand.  Grid Engine
> had a way to get completed jobs, but only when asked for.

To answer your question directly, yes, it is occasionally a little
annoying to have to sift through completed jobs.  It would be nice if
there were a switch for it.

But it sounds like you're really asking if anyone would object to the
default changing such that completed jobs only showed up if
requested.  To that I say we'd have no issue with that at all.  AFAIK,
none of our scripts depend on completed jobs showing up, and any that
did could be easily modified.  But we tend to process accounting
records rather than qstat for anything to do with completed jobs.

HTH,
Michael

--
Michael Jennings <mej at lbl.gov>