[torqueusers] Question to Torque community regarding display of completed jobs in qstat

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Dec 3 12:12:23 MST 2012

On 12/02/2012 01:24 PM, Craig Tierney - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question for Torque users regarding the display of completed
> jobs in qstat.  Do others find the listing of completed jobs by default
> via qstat makes finding things in the output much more difficult and
> completely unnecessary?  Having the completed jobs in qstat can
> significantly slow down qstat if you have a lot (thousands) of completed
> jobs which is another hassle.
>
> I asking this because I need to be able to get error codes from
> completed jobs (for minutes to hours after completion).  To do this,
> they have to still be in the queue.  This function is very important,
> but not to anyone who runs qstat by hand.  Grid Engine had a way to get
> completed jobs, but only when asked for.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

Hi Craig

Well, we keep the completed jobs on the queue for a several hours,
qmgr -c 'set server keep_completed = ...'
Users here never complained, and seem to like
to see queued, running, and completed jobs.
The old/default time of 1200 seconds was too short.
However, our clusters and the number of users are small,
nothing like Zeus, so the clutter caused by keeping completed
jobs on the queue for hours is not large.
Would 'qstat -u username' or some other filtering
help the annoyed users?

Gus Correa