[torqueusers] assigning resources to a queue

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 24 16:25:18 MDT 2012

On 04/24/2012 05:30 PM, Christina Salls wrote:

> [...]
>      > > >
>      > >
>      > >
>      > >     In maui.cfg
>      > >
>      > >     ENABLEMULTIREQJOBS   TRUE
>      > >
>      > >     See the Maui Admin Guide for the meaning:
>      > >
>      >
>     http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/maui/a.fparameters.php
>      > >
>      > > I am still using the built in scheduler in torque.  I haven't
>      >     installed
>      > > maui yet.
>      > >
>      >
>      >     Not sure if this will work with pbs_sched,
>      >     but may be worth trying.
>      >
>      >     1) In server_priv/nodes add some 'properties' to your nodes,
>      >     something like this:
>      >
>      >     n001 np=8 generic
>      >     n002 np=8 generic
>      >     ...
>      >     n019 np=8 generic
>      >     n020 np=8 hydro
>      >
>      > 'generic' and 'hydro' are node 'properties',
>      >     you can call them any string you want, and use as many
>      > 'properties' you want/need for each node.
>      >
>      >
>     http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/torque/3-0-3/3.2nodeproperties.php
>      >
>     http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/torque/3-0-3/4.1queueconfig.php#mapping
>      >
>     http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/torque/3-0-3/2.1jobsubmission.php
>      >
>      >     2) Reconfigure slightly your queues to default
>      >     to 'generic' and 'hydro' nodes, say:
>      >
>      >     set queue batch resources_default.neednodes = generic
>      >     set queue hydrology resources_default.neednodes = hydro
>      >
>      >     [unset the previous neednodes = 020 in the hydrology queue].
>      >
>      >     I hope this helps,
>      >     Gus Correa
>      >
>      >
>      > Definitely worth a try - it makes perfect sense.  Thanks for the
>      > suggestion.  The only roadblock I am concerned with is the fact that
>      > something within torque dynamically modifies the nodes file.  I am
>      > hoping it will leave my modifications intact.  I will let you
>     know what
>      > happens.
>      >
>      > Thanks!
>      >

>     I edit my nodes file by hand, not with qmgr,
>     and never had this problem.
>     After editing it, you may need to restart pbs_server,

Hi Christina

Glad that it worked.

As Axel pointed out, if you want to change the nodes file
dynamically, qmgr is the way to do it.

 > You guys were all great.  I really appreciate the help.

Hmmm ...

If your users learn about the node properties that you
use to assign different node groups to the hydrology and batch
queues, some creative fellow may try something like this:

#PBS -q batch
#PBS -l nodes=19:generic+1:hydro

which may work. :)

Anyway, you can teach the users a standard style:

#PBS -q batch
#PBS -l nodes=N [or perhaps  nodes=N:ppn=P]
#PBS -N myjob

or

#PBS -q hydrology
#PBS -l nodes=1