[torqueusers] Torque rpm build headaches

Michael Jennings mej at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 13 20:13:59 MDT 2011

On Tuesday, 13 September 2011, at 14:48:59 (+0000),
Trutwin, Joshua wrote:

> Thanks for the info, I can maybe help out a bit here.

Yay!  :-)

> Well it works with the --with gui on RPMOPTS, could maybe just add a
> note to the install doc?

Sure, but I think it would be better to fix it the Right Way(tm).

> Combined with the above do you have two --defines like so?
>
> --define '_prefix /opt/torque-2.5.8' --define 'sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail'

Yes, exactly.  --define simply sets a macro, and all macros in the
spec file that are user-customizable are defined conditionally to
preserve prior definitions.

> I guess maybe I could write a patch against the INSTALL doc to be
> more explicit about what options are not supported and also show the
> example you had with overriding the prefix/sendmail path.

I'd strongly caution against changing the prefix or encouraging others
to do so in a published document.  As a general rule, you can only
have 1 package of a particular name installed at once.  (Yes, there
are exceptions.)  If you use "rpm -Uvh" or "yum install/upgrade" on a
package, the default behavior is to replace that package, even if
there are no conflicts.  Specifying an alternate prefix implies that
multiple versions can be installed simultaneously which, while
technically true (if one knows how), can be misleading and hazardous
to the unsuspecting admin (who might not know how).  This is
particularly the case if the version number is included in the prefix.

If a particular site wants to maintain packages that way, that's
certainly their choice, and there are very good reasons for doing so.
But there are also risks, and without taking the time to delineate all
those risks, it's better to just say "Don't do this unless you really,
really mean it" and leave it at that.  :-)

Michael

--
Michael Jennings <mej at lbl.gov>
Linux Systems and Cluster Engineer