[torqueusers] Torque rpm build headaches

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:48:10 MDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Trutwin, Joshua <JTRUTWIN at csbsju.edu> wrote:

> Hi - I just setup torque for a single compute node (currently).  I'm having some trouble with the make rpm command passing all my configure params to the rpmbuild.
>
> Here's what I did:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/torque-2.5.8 --disable-rpp --with-default-server=torque.csbsju.edu

--disable-rpp doesn't really do much of anything (should only affect
momctl in 2.5.8 -- possibly negatively), and really isn't advised
anymore.  Here is the default "Garrick Staples" response circa 2006

Garrick Staples wrote many times:
>Not in my opinion.  The --disable-rpp option only effects Resource
>Monitor requests (as when using momctl).  Back in the OpenPBS days this
>was more important because schedulers like maui had to issue RM requests
>to every node.  These days pbs_server is already providing that
>information directly to schedulers.
>
>Without RPP, momctl must allocate a new socket and bind to a priviledged
>port to talk to a MOM.  When you talk to many MOMs quickly, you can
>easily run out of priviledged ports to TIME_WAIT.
>
>With RPP, momctl works with one socket on one priviledged port.

now I believe that the Adaptive Computing developers are working on
removing the last vestiges of RPP from TORQUE.