[torqueusers] Maui ignores resource -l proc

Matthias Meinke m.meinke at aia.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Sep 9 05:45:26 MDT 2011

Hi,

I am pretty new to  torque and maui, so I hope this is not a dumb question:
We are running a cluster with arounf 60 nodes and 400 cores . I have set up
torque-3.0.2  with maui-3.3.1 for a cluster with 3 queues.

Some users would like to specify the number of cores with the -l procs=
directive, since they do not care how many cores they get on the individual
nodes. When such a job with a specification of -l procs is submitted, I
observe the following behaviour with maui, e.g.:

qsub -I -l procs=32

output from tracejob -v

Resource_List.neednodes=2:ppn=8 Resource_List.nodect=2
Resource_List.nodes=2:ppn=8
Resource_List.procs=32

Allocated are 2 nodes with 8 cores each = 16 procs

where the number for  Resource_List.neednodes=2:ppn=8 is taken from

resources_default.nodes=2:ppn=8

which I have defined in the torque queue. When I change that value for
resources_default.nodes maui just uses that value for the node and core
allocation, so it seems that -l procs is completely ignored and instead maui
uses the default resources defined for the queue.

If I am using pbs_sched instead of maui there is no such problem and the
correct number of cores are allocated to the job when specifying -l procs=32.

The maui config file is just the standard file coming from the distribution
with very little changes such as:

SERVERHOST            aia256
RMCFG[AIA256] TYPE=PBS
NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY  MINRESOURCE